The Top 5 Drug Store Retailers
Drug Stores are a key destination for our clients’ products. By getting products into these brick and mortar locations, we are able to significantly boost their chances of continued success long into the future.
Here are the top 5 most common retail drug stores in the USA, according to a 2015 study by Drug Store News. The study outlines some of the nation’s biggest drug store names according to a variety of factors:
1. Walgreens Boots AllianceComing in at first on the list, Walgreens ranked tops in market share and has a ubiquitous presence across the nation. Walgreens has its headquarters in Deerfield, IL, but stores are located all across the country.
2. CVS Health CorporationCVS actually makes the list under a couple different categories. Its retail drug store accounts for tens of billions in revenue alone, while its mail pharmacy services account for $32.8 billion. These categories make CVS the second-highest ranked drug store in terms of market share, just behind Walgreens. CVS’s headquarters are located in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, and it has retail locations all over the United States.
3. Express Scripts, Incoming in at third in revenue in 2015 and accounting for 11.0 percent of the market share, Express Scripts represents the final of three companies that had a double digit market share percentage last year. Express Scripts, Inc. has its headquarters in St. Louis, MO. It is primarily a mail service.
4. Walmart Stores, Incncluding Walmart and Sam’s Club stores, the company had $19.9 billion in revenue in 2015 and a 5.5 percent market share. Walmart’s headquarters are in Bentonville, Arkansas. Retail locations are spread out all over the United States, but not every location has a pharmacy inside. This is the number the study used when classifying it as a “drug store,” otherwise its overall market share and revenue figures would dwarf the others on this list.
5. Rite Aid CorporationRite Aid was fifth in market share among drug stores last year. Its headquarters are in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. It is the largest drug store chain on the East Coast, but it has stores throughout the rest of the country as well.
* Source: Drugstorenews
Nutritional Products International specializes in helping companies to launch and market new and existing products throughout the United States. We work closely with brand developers, manufacturers, and retail outlets to ensure a smooth transition from product launch through consumer purchase.